Thursday, September 11, 2008

Alternate Ending

There are two different endings written for Dr. Faustus, known as Text A and Text B. The two texts are very similar, but there are a few, key differences between them...
Text A, the one written in the textbook, has only the characters of the old man, Faustus, Mephastophilis, and three Scholars in the ending scenes (I'm focusing on scene 12 until the end). The old man tries to save Faustus from his eternal damnation and begs him to repent; only to be reminded by Faustus that Faustus' signing of his soul to Lucifer cannot be undone. The scholars are then informed that Faustus, at the stroke of midnight, will be summoned to hell forever. The scholars, like the old man, beg Faustus to ask for mercy and then retreat to pray over his soul. Faustus is then left alone and speaks to himself (in third person, as usual) about his desire to prolong the day and avoid his sentence of eternal life in hell. Faustus calls out to Christ and asks Lucifer to spare him, but cannot avoid the inevitable, and he descends into hell at the stroke of midnight…
This ending scene is particularly interesting because Faustus, a prideful, seemingly fearless man, has finally come to the realization that hell is an actual place, full of misery and suffering. I read his final speech to be very fearful and almost in a panic, as he wishes he could receive mercy from the Lord. All along, it’s been in the back of his mind that he should repent and turn away from Lucifer. He is finally ready to make that decision, but it’s too late.
Text B, however, has a few extra aspects to the ending in comparison with text A. The content in text B is very similar to text A, with the exception of the fact that the characters of the good and bad angel are added to the list in text B. The good angel informs Faustus that “the jaws of hell are open to receive thee”. These are powerful words, sure to instill fear in anyone’s heart. The good angel reminds Faustus of his foolishness in denying the way of the Lord and rejecting the idea of and chance at heaven. Also, the good angel says a particular line that really interests me, as it relates to my previous post… “Oh, Faustus, it thou hadst given ear to me, innumerable joys had followed thee. But thou didst love the world”. Earlier, I stated that the good and bad angel represent a Christian’s struggle between following the ways of the world and the ways of the Lord. I think the good angel is, in a way, confirming my analysis because he is saying that by selling his soul to Lucifer, he has become of the world and not of God.

The bad angel actually gives Faustus a glimpse of what hell is like… “Now, Faustus, let thine eyes with horror stare into that vast perpetual torture-house…He that loves pleasure, must for pleasure fall”. Faustus finally comes face to face with the reality and terror that hell brings and he is certainly not pleased at all. It’s kind of a slap in the face when the bad angel says the line about how, since Faustus has loved pleasure (and power), he will essentially be damned because of it. It is kind of like a “what goes around comes around” scenario…

If I had to choose which ending I think is more appropriate, I think I prefer text B. I like how the good and bad angels are incorporated to finalize the idea that Faustus’ constant struggle within his conscience has come to an end and he has come to realize that he has indeed made the wrong choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That does seem to be the most common choice for people today. In this post-modern world full of the television and the internet people tend to like a definite ending for movies and works of literature. Even in the Harry Potter series, what would have been the audiences reaction is Rowling had not chosen to tie everything together in the last book and then to give an account of everyones life years later? What if we as the reader had been allowed to construct this on our own? I believe that as far as its dramatic nature and the definite finish that it provides I would prefer the B text, however, because of the imaginative freedoms and ambiguities of the A text I would name this one as my favorite.