Monday, November 17, 2008

Third Degree Burns

So, needless to say, I'm rather behind on my entries, so I will pick up where I left off in an attempt to get caught up...
Going back a ways to the Faerie Queene, there are several allegories and ironies that run throughout the story, as the plot is full of deception, redemption, love, and temptation. One particular parallel takes place towards the end of the story, when Redcrosse faces the dragon for three days (in my eyes, an obvious reference to Christianity and the fact that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again on the third day)and during the course of their battle, the dragon breathes fire and a spark catches on Redcrosse's beard. I think the spark is a representation of sin and its powers to consume an individual (often in a subtle manner at first) and the damage it leaves behind. Oftentimes, we do not realize the severity of our sins until we are fully engulfed in them and unable to turn back. Much like the spark, which kind of "snuck up" on Redcrosse and soon turned into a fire, sin can be disguised as a small entity and then reach a point of utter consumption.
Furthermore, much like a fire that has been put out, sin leaves behind severe and irreconcilable damage that will scar one for life. There is no way to "unburn" something that has been scorched or to piece ashes together to form the original substance. Once sin has utterly consumed and disrupted our lives, it is almost impossible to piece it back together and start with an entirely clean slate.
And, much like a fire that leaves behind scars (emotional and physical), sin will leave one with guilt and pain. Once clean slates have been established, it is still impossible to completely erase the impact and pain of previous sins.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I agree with what you said about sin being like the fire that burned Red Crosse. When the dragon caught his beard on fire he didn't reliaze it because it was so small. It was right in front of him, yet he did not catch on until it was too late. Sin is often times is like that, it is right in front of you but you don't realize it until it is too late. I also liked how you compared sin to fire in that is leaves you visibly and unvisibly changed. Once you sin you cannot take it back just like you cannot get rid of a scar. I had not thought about the scars forever reminding Red Crosse of his battle and how the scars of our sins will also be with us to remind us to be better in the future.