Monday, December 8, 2008

"I'm Meltiiiing"


So here's a riddle: what has a green face, warty nose, wears a tall, pointy black hat, has stringy, long black hair, an insanely creepy laugh, rides around on a broomstick, and stirs stew while casting spells? It's a tough one, I know.
Well, that was my sad attempt at making a humorous reference to society's stereotypes of witches. The point is, witches in the Renaissance did not ride around on broomsticks, have serious facial distortions, or necessarily stand out like a sore thumb. Witches were normal members of society who simply interacted with the Devil and placed supposed curses on other individuals. In the witches packets that we read and discussed in class, the most intriguing aspect to me was the interview at the end of the packet. It reminded me of one of those cheesy, gossip magazine interviews where everyone just wants to know the "juicy stuff", not the boring facts. The interviewer, Henry Goodcole, pries into Elizabeth Sawyer's accounts with the Devil, as he asks for detail on very unimportant matters. For example, the interviewer asks two very strange questions in a row: "in what place of your body did the Devil suck of your blood, and whether did he himself choose the place or did you yourself appoint him the place? Tell the truth I charge you, as you will answer unto the Almighty God, and tell the reason, if that you can, why he would suck your blood...whether did you pull up your coats or no when the Devil came to suck you?" That is totally irrelevant. I would think the most important thing to find out would be whether or not Sawyer truly was in cohorts with the Devil and what actions he asked her to perform in relation to others around her. But, like I said, it is typical of magazines today and Renaissance literature alike to want the most intriguing, entertaining story on which to write about. I think it was Cecilee that pointed this out in class, but I think it is worth reiterating how funny it is that the interviewer decides to say "tell the truth I charge you, as you will answer to the Almighty God", as if that information is the most important thing in the entire world. It is only a minor detail where and how the Devil sucked the blood of Elizabeth Sawyer, but it makes a good read to dramatize the occurrence and therefore is appealing to most audiences.

No comments: