
In the story The Witch of Edmonton, Elizabeth Sawyer shows her face once again. Elizabeth Sawyer was obviously previously seen in the witch pamphlet, as she was the individual who was interviewed by Henry Goodcole about her strange encounters with the Devil. I found this story to be very interesting, especially because of the fact that Elizabeth was not really a witch, but simply turned to witchcraft upon the false accusations that she was one, feeling as though she may as well turn to witchcraft if she's already accused. Elizabeth befriends Tom, the "devil-dog", and together they scheme to seek revenge on the other characters. The play was interestingly organized, for we do not even see much of Elizabeth Sawyer throughout, and each segment seems to be a random introduction to another aspect of the storyline. A lot of the time, I was sort of confused with the transitions and a little lost.
One story in particular that seemed strange to me was that of Frank Thorney and Winnifride's relationship. They are secretly married, but Frank is also married to Susan. Does he think they won't find out?? It seemed funny to me in the story when the author would go back and forth between the two relationships (that of Frank and Winnifride and that of Frank and Susan) because it was like Frank was confessing his love to Winnifride one second and then telling Susan that she was the one for him the next. Typical man! At least that's how it seemed. Anyways, I am summarizing too much... I guess what I am trying to say is that the writing style of the authors was very peculiar, yet interesting because it kept me on my toes and made for an exciting story. It also shoots down the stereotypical "witch story" plot, because I expected a story about a witch to be centered around the witch and how she was destroying the lives of those around her. While Elizabeth Sawyer is certainly a prevalent character, I didn't feel an overwhelming sense of her witchcraft as I was reading.

No comments:
Post a Comment